FindDistributionParameters

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126658] FindDistributionParameters
  • From: Julian <julianhaw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 05:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

I was wondering how FindDistributionParameters chooses an initial
point in the MLE search procedure when none is specified.  That is,
the function numerically fits a distribution onto some empirical data,
and it does so even when I do not give the function the initial point
in the form FindDistributionParameters[data,distribution,
{{param1,init1},{param2,init2},...}], but rather simply
FindDistributionParameters[data,distribution].  I would like to know
how Mathematica initializes its search for parameters in the latter
case.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.