Function Libraries and 'LibraryFunction'

Hello,

I want to compile some library functions into a linux library
for use with Mathematica.

In general the library will reside in /usr/lib
and be an ELF format .so  file.

1.) Are there any 'gotchas' that I should be aware of?

2.) Do I need to link with Mathematica libraries if I don't use the
MathLink calls, or do I need to wrap all my data types?

3.) Is there any additional documentation that exposes the use of
external binary libs in Mathematica? (ie: Best practices)

Thanks for any pointers.

Peter