question about NIntegrate

Hi,

I want to use function NIntegrate to integrate a rather complicated function which should be calculated numerically and returns a Table. However, when I write something of the kind:

Clear[f]
f[(a_)?NumericQ] := {a^2};
NIntegrate[f[x], {x, -1, 1}]

I get an error: "Integrand f[x] is not numerical at {x} = {-0.984085}"

Strangely, the following code works fine:

NIntegrate[f[1], {x, -1, 1}]

giving the result {2.}

What am I doing wrong?

Dmitry