Re: how to orient Polar Plot 0 Degrees at the North Pole

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg128820] Re: how to orient Polar Plot 0 Degrees at the North Pole
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:01:46 -0500 (EST)

And do you want positive angles on the right or on the left?

If on the right you have to reflect your data about 0 degrees and then
rotate it by 90 degrees.

Then the Presentations application has a DrawPolarGrid primitive that allows
quite a bit of adjustment in the labeling. The following is the form of just
such a Northward plot I recently helped a customer with.

     {ComplexPolar[0, 0 \[Degree]],
      ComplexPolar[30., 180 \[Degree]],
      ComplexPolar[5., 15 \[Degree]], {1, 1}},
     PGMajorStyle -> Directive[GrayLevel[.7]],
     PGRadiusNumberFunction -> (# - 30 &),
     PGAngleNumberFunction -> (-# + 90 \[Degree] &),
     PGLabelAxis -> 90 \[Degree]],
    PolarDraw[f[\[Theta]], {\[Theta], \[Theta]min, \[Theta]max}],
    Text[Style["dB", 12], {20, -3}]},
   AspectRatio -> Automatic,
   Frame -> None,
   PlotRange -> {{-35, 40}, {0, 30}},
   PlotRangePadding -> 5,
   ImageSize -> 600] //
  Framed[#, FrameStyle -> GrayLevel[0.7]] & //
   Style["Making a Northward Facing Polar Plot",
    14, FontFamily -> "Times"], {{Bottom, Left}}] &

David Park
djmpark at

From: mathgroup [mailto:fizzymath at]

Sometimes I want the 0 Degree  direction of  PolarPlot to be at the North
Pole......I have been able to do this by applying  Rotate to the PolarPlot,

but this also Rotates the numbers for the Degrees, etc.  which I don't

is there another way ?....I looked at the Options to see if there was
one which allowed you to do this but, if there is such an Option, I
didn't see it....

Thanks.....Jerry Blimbaum