Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128354] Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 00:38:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/8/12 at 10:23 AM, murray at math.umass.edu (Murray Eisenberg)
wrote:

>On Oct 8, 2012, at 2:32 AM, Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:

>>An alternative would be to force loading of the Paclet manager.
>>That is at the end of my init.m file I have

>><<PacletManager`; <<Utilities`CleanSlate`;
>>SetOptions[CleanSlate,Verbose->False];

>>This way I don't need to add anything to the top of a notebook when
>>I start a session.

>Please explain the reason for the force-loading of Paclet manager
>there!

I made this change for the version of Mathematica that first
implemented the Paclet manager. At that time, I found the Paclet
manager loaded after everything in init.m executed. Without
forcing the Paclet manager to load, CleanSlate would load first
and executing CleanSlate[] in a session would clear the Paclet
manager. Forcing the Paclet manager to load first precludes this problem.

Note, since this solved the specific problem above and doesn't
seem to cause any side issues, I've not taken the trouble to
determine if the same behavior (i.e., the Paclet manager loading
after execution of init.m functions) persists in version 8. But
based on the post from dr DanW, I surmise the behavior is still
present in version 8.