Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128355] Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 00:38:47 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/8/12 at 2:32 AM, dgolber at aol.com wrote:

>On Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:40:32 AM UTC-4, dr DanW wrote:
>>CleanSlate[] marks the state of memory on its first invocation.
>>Subsequent calls to CleanSlate[] reset the memory to that state.

>The previous writer says it resets the state to the state when the
>package was loaded.

>Which is it?

You need to realize dr DanW stated he set up his init.m file
differently than I do. Specifically, he used:

DeclarePackage["Utilities`CleanSlate`",{"CleanSlate"}];

This doesn't load the package until you use one of the functions
in the package. So, for his usage doing CleanSlate[] at the top
of the notebook loads the package and a subsequent execution of
CleanSlate restores the state as it was when he first does CleanSlate[].

So, despite the apparent conflict, I do not believe dr DanW is
saying something different than what I said about what
CleanSlate does.