Re: "Discovering" a grid in an image?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128432] Re: "Discovering" a grid in an image?
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 02:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

I am new to Mathematica and I have this image:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/Ta5wf.png

Is it possible to let Mathematica separate the image into one small one
for each character?

>From my cs classes I remember that VoronoiDiagrams might be a way to
calculate the grid between the characters.  Alas, VoronoiDiagram[] only
accepts a list of points, not an image.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Sven

Hi, Sven,

I do not know much about Voroni diagrams. However, this

im

is your initial image. I went to the web page that you gave above, and copy=
-pasted the image into Mathematica wrapped by Image[].
Then this

ip = ImagePartition[im, {Scaled[1/5], Scaled[1/4]}]

yields a list containing the letters, each letter is an image. You may addr=
ess individual terms of this list by evaluating the expressions like this:

ip[[1, 4]] (* This gives D *)
ip[[3, 5]]  (* This gives O *)

one of the numbers gives the line, another gives the column.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,