"Solve" on polynomial equality results in expressions containing "Root"
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg128518] "Solve" on polynomial equality results in expressions containing "Root"
- From: coder0xff at gmail.com
- Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
If I do Solve[y==3x^2-2x^3,x] I get expressions containing imaginary parts. If I set the domain to the Reals (Solve[y==3x^2-2x^3,x,Reals]) then I got stuff like Root[y - 3 #1^2 + 2 #1^3 &, 2]. I know there's a solution using only reals (since the range and domain are both real, and complex math is performed as operations on reals after all) How can I get it to give me the actual solution using only reals?
Prev by Date:
Re: CDF Security
Next by Date:
Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework
Previous by thread:
Re: Second derivatives
Next by thread:
Re: "Solve" on polynomial equality results in expressions