Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128519] Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework
  • From: mrkhrdr at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003 12:43:34 AM UTC-8, Bob Harris wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have recently returned to grad school, and am attempting to use
> mathematica as my "word processor" for my math-related homework.  There are
> a few annoying things that keep happening to my attempts at this, and I
> thought I'd describe them here in hopes that someone would have some better
> suggestions.
>
> For an example of what I've been doing, see
>     http://www.cse.psu.edu/~rsharris/spamlog/ExampleHW.nb
>
> My motivations are (a) it will give me a clean output that will be easier on
> the grader's eyes, (b) it will make it easier for me to edit changes to
> equations, etc., and (c) I can include mathematica-generated plots and
> import drawings from other packages.
>
> I've been doing this with some success from the beginning of the fall
> semester.  I'm not incredibly sophistocated with mathematica, but have
> managed to do this using only InputForm and StandardForm cells (i.e. I have
> set the cells to DisplayAs one of those two forms, depending on whether the
> cell contains running text or equations).  This sort of works, but there are
> many shortcomings:
>
> 1) Mathematica likes to auto format things, so it is difficult for me to get
> things to line up the way I want them to.  This has made the inclusion of
> mathematical symbology in my running text difficult.  I think I have
> discovered that displaying a cell as Text rather than InputForm is better,
> but haven't tried it much yet.
>
> 2) In many cases when I include a plot, or an imported drawing, when I print
> out the notebook I get an unnecessary page feed before and/or after the
> plot/drawing.
>
> 3) Font sizes on the printout don't seem to correlate with font sizes on the
> screen.  The default size of 12 pt is fine to read on the screen, but is too
> small on the printed page.  Very surprisingly, it is not as large on paper
> as wehen I use 12 pt fonts in other programs.
>
> 4) Trying to set font sizes on things seems like a nightmare of hard to
> comprehend results.  E.g. slecting a cell and setting the font size many
> times seems to have no effect whatsoever.
>
> 5) ... others ...
>
> I've also looked at style sheets a little bit.  Like I said, I'm not very
> mathematica-sophistocated, and am trying to find a fairly quick solution
> that I can implement without having to dig *too* deep (am willing to dig
> some, but don't really have the time with my current class and teaching load
> to spend a lot of time with this).
>
> It seems like what I'm after is the same sort of set up that someone writing
> a paper for publicatiojn would need.  Have looked for such examples, but
> have not found any.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions,
> Bob Harris

  I recall using palettes in a very simple way in v.6.  I can't remember if I clicked on a symbol or pasted it into my text.  But when I tried these in my v.8 Mathematica, nothing happened!  I have only used Basic Typesetting in a teChem) problems.  But I'm hardly a beginner, just a little rusty. So...
How do I enter a symbol from a palette into text cells? No, I don't want to use special keyboard combinations, which is one direction the docs take me when I look for typesetting.
BTW:
  There seems to be ABSOLUTELY no help with this issue in the Documentation centers.  Although, I see entries promising such information, they lead me on a goose chase every time.  There was a video in there somewhere, but it froze and couldn't be restarted after I paused it once. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?
  I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit on a Core-2 Duo machine with 4GB RAM.
Mark