MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: A new FrontEnd

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127957] Re: A new FrontEnd
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 03:08:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <k21kj2$9vq$1@smc.vnet.net> <20120904095037.75C63636C@smc.vnet.net>

If Wolfram ever releases Mathematica for the iPad -- it has been demoed extensively over the last year or so -- the entire front end will need a major re-think.

While it may take a while, the changes needed to run in a single-window environment will inevitably filter over into the desktop version. We see this with the transfer of functionality from iOS to OS X.

In the past, there were alternate front-ends available. Theoretically, anyone could make a new front-end using MathLink. For earlier versions of Mathematica, the front end did a lot less, so there were both commercial and 'free' alternatives.

I do not see anyone taking on the task of replacing the front-end. However, it may be possible to build a specialized front-end for a specific task. I have thought about this during bouts of frustration trying to get Mathematica to do something it is not well suited for, but never followed through.

george

On Sep 4, 2012, at 5:46 AM, psycho_dad <s.nesseris at gmail.com> wrote:

> No thank you, I prefer Mathematica the way it is for many reasons:
> 1) New interfaces tend to have bugs and with Wolfram's history of dealing with bugs it might take a couple of versions to fix them all.
> 2) There might be incompatibility issues with older code. I routinely use code I wrote back in 2005 and it still works.
> 3) The FrontEnd in Mathematica 8 is *not* archaic but it's just perfect for what's supposed to be, ie a notebook interface.
> 4) If something ain't broke, don't fix it!
> 
> However, now that I think about it, I would indeed like tabs instead of separate windows for my notebooks.
> 
> Cheers
> 

• Prev by Date: Re: A new FrontEnd
  • Next by Date: Re: How can I use FindMaximum to get a result better than MachinePrecision?
  • Previous by thread: Re: A new FrontEnd
  • Next by thread: Re: A new FrontEnd