Re: Command Possible?

> I have read that Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica occupies
> itself for a thousand pages to prove that 1+1=2 (see, eg.,http://blog.plover.com/math/PM.html).

Pfew.. that nothing! Stephen Wolfram in 2002 published a 1300 page
tome "A new kind of science" trying to prove...hem...what was it that
he tried to prove? :-)

I am joking of course! The NKS book is fantastic and well worth
studying. You can now read it online for free, but I still enjoy my
splendidly crafted printed version.

Also, the Principia is indeed a large 3 volume opus, but the 1+1=2
proof is relatively short as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica#Quotations

The proof in Theorema that 1+1=2 is fully automatic (once you write
the axioms of arithmetic), is short and quite readable.