Re: LaunchKernels[] and Java

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128029] Re: LaunchKernels[] and Java
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:03:00 -0400 (EDT)

Execute $ConfiguredKernels to find out how many Kernels are available
on your system.

?$ConfiguredKernels

$ConfiguredKernels is the default list of kernels that are configured
to be launched for parallel computing. >>

The Documentation Center states, for $ConfiguredKernels, "On a
multicore computer the list typically includes as many local kernels
as there are cores, up to a limit defined by license availability."

--David

On Sep 7, 5:03 am, tredmon... at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a machine with 8 cores and I have been getting amazing results wit=
h the parallel computation.  LaunchKernels[] gives me 4 kernels and many =
of my problems actually are probably running something like four times as f=
ast.  This is really awesome!

> But I am wondering if I can get Java to connect to all of these kernels. =
 I have some java code that I invoke from the mathematica user interface.=
 This program will often run overnight or even for more than a day. I figur=
ed if Java will talk to all these kernels then I could divide the problem a=
nd it would run much faster.  (Conceptually the problem splits up nicely.=
)