Re: A new FrontEnd

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128035] Re: A new FrontEnd
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:05:00 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/9/12 2:12 AM, Leo Ditolaghi wrote:
> I sometimes envision of new kind of front end for Mathematica that is a
> kind of hybrid "handwriting recognition" interface.

Handwriting recognition of mathematics has a history going back to
about 1963.  windows 7 has a math input panel.

There are excellent reasons for this not to be in widespread use.
Mostly it is difficult to build a good system (at least so far).
Secondly, it is difficult to use.  You may think it is "obvious"
but what is obvious about correcting recognition errors, which are
inevitable.

An alternative, especially in these days of Siri etc, is speech
input of mathematics.  Odd as it may seem at first, there are
good reasons for it to be faster and more effective than handwriting,
typing, or palettes.

Google is your friend in tracking down information on all of these
issues.  It may help to include "fateman" in the search.

RJF