Puzzlement about In and Out with Wrappers

The documentation I've found explains the output of the following input
(assuming =91x=92 has been Clear=92d):

x ^ 2
x ^ 3  //  FortranForm

But in the output of the following cell, why does x^4 precede x**3, and why
is x**3 not demarcated by =93Out [...] // FortranForm?=94

x ^ 2
x ^ 3  //  FortranForm
x ^ 4

And in the output of the following cell, it seems that x**4 has obliterated
x**3.  Why did this happen? (I know that the unwrapped x^3 is still
available in Out [ - 3 ] ).

x ^ 2
x ^ 3  //  FortranForm
x ^ 4  //  FortranForm