Re: Buttons in CDFs Created for Homework Assignments

CDFs can have different levels of digital signing.  The default one
that is available directly through one's Mathematica license has the
restriction that you have encountered -- the inability for the user to
save the CDF.  You should contact Wolfram to see about the costs (if
any) with a different level of digital signing that permits saving.  I
agree with you that this feature should be included in the default
(lowest) level of digital signing.

--David

On Sep 15, 3:46 am, Gregory Lypny <gregory.ly... at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm using CDF as the format for a series of undergraduate multiple-choice=
 quizzes and graduate assignments that I am developing.  Both generate un=
ique homework exercises for each student by drawing random samples from rea=
l-world data sets.  I have already used them successfully in an intermedi=
ate undergraduate theory course in financial economics.  But something ca=
me up yesterday when I was putting the finishing touches on a prototype for=
 multiple-choice quizzes, and I suppose it should have occurred to me befor=
e I even started.  I included radio buttons for the answer choices to eac=
h question, knowing that free CDFs cannot export, but thinking that the ans=
wers chosen could be dynamically updated in a table, and students could the=
n use the table to enter their answers into a web form for submission.  N=
o problem with this as long as the quiz is completed all at once.  But st=
udents are not be able to come back to complete a quiz that they had starte=
d earlier because free CDFs cannot save the interface state and do not allo=
w importing (which, presumably, could be used to create a file to do the sa=
me thing).  All this being said, I was wondering if someone on the list m=
ight confirm, and perhaps suggest a workaround if one exists.  A volume l=
icense for Player Pro is not an option at my institution.

> I think CDFs are neat, but the inability to save states, severely limits =
their usefulness for homework, and I am now wondering whether I might just =
as well use Mathematica to create a workflow to generate a unique PDF for e=
ach student instead of a CDF.  Even if a student does not print a PDF, th=
ey can always annotate them, and in that way, save their work.

> I guess this is a shout-out to Wolfram to consider expanding the capabili=
ties of free CDFs for these purposes.