Re: FindMinimum function does not seem to work for simple problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128114] Re: FindMinimum function does not seem to work for simple problems
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 00:20:08 -0400 (EDT)

> Please note that Mathematica 8.0 does not allow you to put a linear constraint with a single variable
> equated to a constant value (I note that others have reported this bug in forums such as this).
>  I had to introduce a dummy variable "eps" equated to 1 indirectly to handle this problem.

Hi.  I'm not an expert, but even if it were not a bug, one would be asking the program to work harder than it has to.

FindMinimum[{(x - 1.0)^2 + (y - 2.0)^2, x == 2.0}, {{x, 1.0}, {y, 1.0}}]

What you are asking is that the variable x varies at machine precision, and then figure out how to make x ==2.
What I believe is happing to cause the error has something to do with the gradient at machine precision, but I'm not sure.

I believe it's easier in Mathematica (and more efficient) to just go ahead and use the Constants in the equation.   This eliminates a lot of unnecessary work:

equ = (x - 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2     /. x -> 2
(y - 2)^2 + 1

FindMinimum[equ,{y,1}]
{1.,{y->2.}}

Now, one is only varying y.  No sense in changing x if x is not suppose to change.

For this small example, Minimize works a little better thou:

equ = {(x - 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2, x == 2};

Minimize[equ, {x,y} ]

{1,{x->2,y->2}}

The program likes to work with constraints.  Sometimes, one can see if the constant happens to be on the border via inequalities.

FindMinimum[{(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2,  x<=2}, {x,y}]

{4.44354*10^-13,{x->0.999999,y->2.}}

Ok.  The above didn't work.  Let's try :  x>= 2

FindMinimum[{(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2,x>= 2},  {x,y}]

Ok.  That worked   :>)

HTH  :>)
Dana DeLouis
Mac & Mathematica 8