Re: set option flag in function definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128152] Re: set option flag in function definition
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:57:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Experts,

I had one question regarding to the function definition.

I want to have a function that executes certain operation when I chose the
corresponding option flag.

For example,

a function called "f"

when I call it like f[arg1,arg2,arg3, optionX]
it executes command
arg1/arg2+arg3

If I call it like f[arg1,arg2,arg3,optionY]
it executes command
arg1*arg2-arg3

If I call it like f[arg1,arg2,arg3,optionSomethingElse]
it returns me
"No appropriate option flag was found. Please indicate correct options"

This looks a bit like scripts running in UNIX. I am wondering if I can do
the same in Mathematica easily?

Thank you so much for your kind help!

The trivial solution would be to use If operator or a Piecewise function. For example:

f[arg1_,arg2_,arg3_, option_]:=If[option==optionX, arg1/arg2+arg3,
             If[option==optionY, arg1*arg2-arg3, Print["No
appropriate option flag was found. Please indicate correct options"]
]
]

Is it unacceptable for whatever reason?

Have fun. Alexei