Problem with SetDelayed lhs:=rhs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128247] Problem with SetDelayed lhs:=rhs
  • From: zahava.ginny at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 02:56:54 -0400 (EDT)

An assignment using SetDelayed, lhs := rhs, maintains rhs in completely unevaluated form.
Thus, if k=5, say, the assignment

In[1] = f[k,j_]:=rhs[k,j]

yields

In[2] = ?f
Global`f
f[5,j_]:=rhs[k,j]

How can I force the k on the right hand side to be evaluated so that ?f will yield
f[5,j_]:=rhs[5,j] ?

Of course, I could define f[5,j_] manually, but I want to automate the procedure over a range of values of k.