Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128258] Re: Clearing all variables and definitions: i.e. "resetting" mathematica
  • From: awnl <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:07:37 -0400 (EDT)

Am 29.09.2012 09:09, schrieb Brentt:
> Hi, is there any way to reset an entire session, clearing all variables and
> definitions to what they would be when opening up mathematica. Occasionally
> I look through the docs for this functionality but it has always eluded me
> (and I must have read most of the docs by now ), so usually will just shut
> down mathematica and restart. There has got to be a better way right?

When you work the usual way with from the frontend I think a Kernel quit
(either from the Evaluate menu or just by evaluating Quit) will be the
most convenient and reliable way to reset the session. The next
evaluation will automatically start a new, fresh kernel. There are ways
to reset the Kernel without quitting it, but on a modern computer the
restart is so fast that I wouldn't struggle with all the eventualities
that arise when trying to do a reliable full reset.

hth,

albert