Re: Getting an array into a C program through mathlink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130345] Re: Getting an array into a C program through mathlink
  • From: "John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2 at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 22:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

you've crossed your own testimony

"we're very careful about compile targets" doesn't mean it works.

you've said if MathLink doesn't work Mathematica won't either
certainly isn't true.

I run Mathemaitca but can't make ANY mathlink apps.  not after I upgraded from
(woody to sarge).  If you don't know why then why comment on the
subject?  I did find a way to do addtwo: which WR could have done but
didn't.

I said wasn't talking about Mathematica's own binaries but mathlink
apps users made and posted for others to compile and use: which is
what Mathematica's documentation implies why one might be using mathlink.

You skirt the fact I'm not the only one who runs Mathematica and could
not get mathgl3d / mathview3d to compile and run and reported it.
Which was because I upgraded my OS to a slightly newer version.

For example if I compile against old libs libML.a might not seg-fault:
but that forces GL to link against old GL libs: which won't work
against new GL libs runtime.  That's assuming the rest worked, which i
said had similar breakage issues.  That's due to libML.a  And GL isn't
the only lib one might run into like that: all too many such will
happen.  and libML.a's insistance to be a backport is why.

Your skirting the fact of how much trouble it is to backport like that
only hoping it'd work on a new system when finished: it's an
ass-whooping.  what find install old OS to work on new PC?

That's not what the mathgl3d author was thinking end users might be
doing to run his nifty app is it?

look i really don't want to talk about it any further.  mathgl3d was
the only mathlink project I wanted to see and it's not going to work.

I made a makefile that does it.  Yet again the use of it is too
limited - it is bound to work only for examples and only given the
particular way my OS version packaged old libs to be used.

Again - i don't want to make or use any mathlink thinking i can
distribute it to others.

And a good reason is the above.

I'll stick by my word and say: avoid mathlink if you plan others to
use it, if you plan it to be portable over time.  There will be lib
issues you hadn't imagined.

You can't get convince me to say otherwise can you?  You have no
evidence I do.