Re: Solve without vars

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130375] Re: Solve without vars
  • From: "John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2 at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 05:10:30 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks andrew that was an interesting read!

Yes about zeros!  also one should always be mindful that div/(a-a)
appearing in symbolic solutions during manipulation are not checked,
it makes certain problems solvable in real time, but can miss sol'n.

I'm not sure the inductions hold for all eq'n under Solve.  And how
mathematica solves given {}, that may change between versions.

I wouldn't use the inductions myself.  I'd supply the options and
check the answer.  (I've never needed to use Solve programatically
yet)  I don't have the Solve source code and it's not my job to know
it really.  Would be nice if I had such a collection and was paid to
tend it :)

I'm saving the mail and reading again later.  Thanks  - John