Re: Sample Workbooks - Suggested sources to get a newbie going?

http://www.wolfram.com/webresources.html
->  http://www.library.wolfram.com
->  http://www.library.wolfram.com
has beam stress examples.  I'm unsure if any Mathematica books are on
that subject I think there is at least one.

I think some continuum mathematics for buildings (ref www.wikipedia.com)
is done by specialized software (ie, what various colleges post as
req. software for architect engineers) bothe here and over-seas; or is
proprietary to major building companies.  interesting you say that.