Trying to suspend or pause execution of a program.

I have a manipulate that uses the Speak function. One of the four buttons used plays a 24 second statement and I would like to have the other buttons disabled until the Speak function has finished. The best that I have been able to do is to disable the other buttons for 6 to 7 seconds, by using a Pause statement along with Method and SynchronousUpdating. I would certainly appreciate any and all suggestions.