Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130569] Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 03:10:48 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/21/2013 2:17 AM, Clif McInnis wrote:
> "On the larger issue, of getting kindergarten children to pronounce the numbers from 1 to 10.
Uh, do you really need to use a computer? Running Mathematica?"

> Not meaning to disregard the top part of your post, however the last two questions are important to me.
I would like to get your opinion as I see that you are a well cited
author of over 1100 documents on the Mathematica site.

> I hope that I am interpreting your question correctly. I would say I hope a student would not need a
computer to run the manipulate, and if I am under standing the way
CDF's, such as those on the demonstrations project,
  work it could be run on a smart phone, a pad, or other such device,
(w/o the player) that the student may be
  using while riding in the back seat of the car, or at other
non-productive times.

> Now if the question addresses the only necessity of the pronunciation of numerals, then I would say that
it would be a good addition to a demonstration that targets an age group
that are multi-sensory, but I guess not
  a bsolutely essential. I would also hope that such an instructional
method would only be supplemental
to more personal , probably tactile-engaging, methods of presenting the
concept.

> Reality, of 35 years teaching, says that there will be many students that will for whatever
reason miss the point that numerals represent numbers, and come away
with the idea that 3,
whether written or spoken is two backwards c's stacked on top of each
other.  Given that as
  foundation on which we would like to build the rest of their
mathematical understanding is
it any wonder that by the time that they are ready to do more complex
mathematics many become
  discouraged?

> I think that if this app can include audio, without disrupting the learning flow by showing x
  number of objects on the screen while speaking the number y, it would
be more worthwhile to
students in this age range.

Historically, experiments at higher educational levels to introduce a
computer algebra system into a math course have resulted in consequences
like this:
1. Students, on average, resented having to learn "something else" (i.e.
using computer program) that wasn't "on the final".
2. On average they learned "no less" than students in the control group
not using computers.  But "no more" either.

We are now wondering whether introducing computers will work for
kindergarten students (in 2013) learning number shapes.  Two significant
changes.  (a) much younger students  (b) a different attitude toward
computers/smart phones -- these having been ubiquitous.

Now I am hardly an expert in very early childhood education, but I have
seen some games aimed at children. Your game sounds pretty boring, but I
have seen something like it.  Showing 4 ducks. Click on each one. Game
says "4 ducks" and shows a "4".  Another requires tracing out of the
digits in the right directions of the strokes.

These are probably directed to children of age 3 with access to iPad or
similar. Children of age 5 in the US who cannot count to 10 and/or think
that 3 is two backwards C's stacked, are probably rare.

However, I am not actually >> objecting << to the educational
experiment. At worst you will be exposing children to a boring game that
they will simply not play.

What I am pointing out is that better software technology for all the
parts needed is so readily available and cheap.  Using Mathematica seems
totally ill-advised.  Possibly depriving kids of human contact --
Johnny, you have to learn your 3's.  Sit in the back of the car and use
the computer..

Just because something Could Be Done with Mathematica does not mean
(a) it should be done with Mathematica.  (b) should be done at all.

RJF