integral of x^n

On 4/22/2013 12:13 AM, Alex Krasnov wrote:
> In this case, the results are valid for a=1 in the sense of a limit, as
> Limit[u, a -> 1] and limit(u, a, 1) demonstrate. This is not always the
> case. Example:
>
> In:	f = Integrate[x^n, x]
> Out:	x^(1 + n)/(1 + n)
>
> In:	Limit[f, n -> -1, Direction -> 1]
> Out:	-Infinity
>
> In:	Limit[f, n -> -1, Direction -> -1]
> Out:	Infinity
>
> Alex

Yes, but an equally valid antiderivative for x^n  is

s = (x^(n+1)-1)/(n+1).

note

Limit[s,n->-1]  is Log[x].

This alternative formula was, I think, pointed out more than once
to Wolfram Inc. probably circa version 2.

There are other issues that come up when using antiderivatives +
the fundamental theorem of integral calculus. Some of these become
apparent by reading FTIC carefully.

RJF