CDF as the Supporting Materials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130601] CDF as the Supporting Materials
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 02:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dear community,

Some scientific journals offer their authors a possibility in parallel to their primary journal publication to publish on-line a part of the results as the so-called, Supporting (or Supplementing) Materials. This is especially important in the case of short publications, in such journals as e.g. Phys. Rev. Lett. where the limitations of the standard format disables authors to give all details important for understanding. There is a lot of examples where such Supporting Materials contain pdf files, various images, movie, sound or data files.

I am pondering a question of applying a CDF document as one of such Supporting Materials files for a publication in such a journal. The doubt is that the reader should be ready to download and install the CDF Player. Though for free, it is not evident that people will go for that.

Please let me know, if some of you already have such an experience. How did it go? In what journals? What was the attitude of the journal Editorial Board for such a Supporting document?

I know, of course, about the Mathematica Journal, where all the articles are in the computable format. This my question, however, concerns quite regular journals.

Best, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,