Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130613] Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 04:25:16 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/24/2013 11:52 PM, debguy wrote:
> ?? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms717077%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> ??
>
> {f[x*(x + b*(c + x + z))], f[x*(x + b*(c + x) + z)]}
>
> {f[x (x + b (c + x + z))], f[x (x + b (c + x) + z)]}
>
> So I am to understand mm spoke exactly as asked: because they are not
> the same.  Is that right?

I don't understand your question.  Mathematica speaks the two different
expressions the same way, although they are not equivalent.  Mathematica
has an option to insert audible parentheses, but that is clumsy, and it
should not be necessary.  Who knows though. Wolfram might think this bug
is a feature.

> ?? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms717077%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> ??  Microsoft didn't develop speach.
I didn't say that Microsoft developed (text-to-) speech.  I indicated a
link to a contemporary web page that could be used as a reference.

Linux had it before Microsoft
> did.
Are you sure?
  DragonSpeach didn't develop it either.

The first system I am familiar with to speak mathematics was AsTer,
written by T.V. Raman

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/aster/aster-toplevel.html
in 1994.

> The U.S. Government developed it (what dragon speech uses) and much
> later released it public domain.

Citation please?  The original Apple Macintosh had MacinTalk, circa 1984.

You are, I think, confusing speech OUTPUT  (relatively easy, at least if
you are content with a slightly robotic voice.) with
speech INPUT (a much harder problem. e.g. Siri.)

Good public (free, open source) speech recognition is sufficiently hard
to find and set up that companies like Nuance make a good business
selling it shrink-wrapped.

  Speech-to-text is available "in the cloud" via  (for example) Google
Voice.

Here's one open project though...

http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/

Setting it up is not for the faint of heart.

Programs to convert spoken mathematics to text (or mathml equivalent)
are around, but probably not ready for prime time.

..snip..
RJF