Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130620] Re: Speak errors (was Re: audio)
  • From: "Louis Talman" <talmanl at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:07:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 02:25:16 -0600, Richard Fateman
<fateman at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Mathematica
> has an option to insert audible parentheses, but that is clumsy, and it
> should not be necessary.

When I was a graduate student many moons ago, I read research journal
articles onto tape for a blind mathematician.

I have to disagree that inserting audible parentheses isn't necessary.  It
may be clumsy, but most of audible mathematics is clumsy. There are, I
think, few alternatives, short of using something akin to (reverse) Polish
notation, for some folks.

--Louis A. Talman
   Metropolitan State University of Denver

   <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>