Wrong Answer

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130626] Wrong Answer
  • From: christopher arthur <chris.arthur1 at>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:09:38 -0400 (EDT)

I've discovered that Solve[] gives me the wrong answer for some
polynomial equations.  For example, consider the following equation,
which should have exactly one positive, real answer for t.

p:=(px + t vx)^4 + (py + t vy)^4==1

NSolve gives the right answers if I substitute for px,py,vx and vy
before solving.  On the other hand, if I use Solve[] this way:

I get a different answer, and it's not correct.
Does Solve[] just malfunction with quartic polynomials or is there
something else happening?

mathematica 5.2