Re: Corrupted files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131489] Re: Corrupted files
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 06:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

I use a  HP Pavilion dv6 . Notebook PC, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II P540 Dual Core Processor 240 GHz.
Installed Memory RAM 4GB( 3.74 GB usable)
System Type: 64 - bit operating system

The files got corrupted when I pasted some Power point slides into my Mathematica 9.0 notebook.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roberto Aburto J

Hi, Roberto,

It is a common knowledge that shit happens. When it happened to me some time ago I collected information of what could be done in this case. This information you will find below. It came from answers of several people at thattime. I cannot recall now from whom. Please find it:

Repairing corrupted Mathematica files

We have had numerous problems recently with students being unable to open Mathematica files due to a "corrupt file cache." This page is simply a local (paraphrased) copy of information found at the Wolfram Research website (here) detailing how to recover from this situation. (It is up-to-date as of April 15, 2003; visit wolfram.com for updates.)

    Save somewhere on your PC the file Corruption.m from here:
    http://www.bluffton.edu/~nesterd/Corruption.m

    Open a blank notebook in Mathematica, and issue the command:

Get["H:\Corruption.m"]

    (changing "H:\" to specify wherever you saved it.)
    Suppose that your corrupt notebook is called "Taylor Series.nb" and is saved in the "Calculus" folder on your network (H:) drive. You should issue the command:

   OpenCorruptedNotebook["H:\Calculus\Taylor Series.nb"]

    This command reads in the cells from the notebook and puts them into a new untitled window. Bad cells are unformatted, given a cell tag of "junk", and appear as red bold text. These junk cells can usually be safely ignored (and deleted).
    Save the salvaged notebook with a new name.

Knowledge Base Article
Repairing Corrupted Notebooks Using the AuthorTools Package
http://support.wolfram.com/kb/3300

Like any files, Mathematica notebooks can be corrupted, making them unreadable. In general, we recommend backing up important work on different media. In case notebooks become corrupted, Mathematica provides a tool to help restore them using the AuthorTools package. Restoring a notebook removes any corrupted sections of the notebook, allowing it to be opened and read by Mathematica. To repair a corrupted notebook in Mathematica:

    In a new notebook, load the AuthorTools package and open the NotebookRestore dialog by executing:

 Quiet[<<AuthorTools`]

     NotebookRestoreAT[]
Please note that the tick mark after AuthorTools is a back tick character (`), not an apostrophe ('). The back tick character is available underneath the tilde key on most keyboards.
    Select the notebook you want to restore in the NotebookRestore dialog. Mathematica will open a new notebook with what could be restored from the original one. We recommend saving the new notebook with a new name.

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,
11, rue Edmond Reuter,