Re: Mathworld Utility Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132142] Re: Mathworld Utility Packages
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 02:18:49 -0500 (EST)

On 22/12/2013 10:50, Syd Geraghty wrote:> Hi,

 > Can someone please direct me to an updated source of Eric Weisstein's
Mathworld Utility Packages that allows one to copy and run Mathworld
notebooks in a newly set up Mathematica 9 environment (with standard
setup configuration chosen).

 > Online documentation dates back to Mathematica 6 from 2007.
 >
 > "For a list of Eric's math packages that may be needed to evaluate
this notebook, see Mathematica Information Center's MathSource item
4775.  A list of Eric's utility packages that may be needed to evaluate
this notebook may be downloaded from MathSource item 5087".

 > http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/5087/
 >
 > http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4775
 >
 > Point to:
 >
 > MathWorldPackages.zip (994.8 KB) - Eric Weisstein's MathWorld
Packages 2007-10-10 [for Mathematica 6.0]

 > But unzipping and inserting them per:
 >
 > "To use these packages in Mathematica, place them in a folder called
MathWorld inside your $UserAddOnsDirectory/Applications directory (or
any other directory on your $Path)".

 > Then evaluating:
 >
 > <<MathWorld`SpecialFunctions`
 >
 > Gives output:
 >
 > SetDelayed::write: Tag Gudermannian in
MakeBoxes[Gudermannian[z_],TraditionalForm] is Protected. >>
 > SetDelayed::write: Tag Haversine in
MakeBoxes[Haversine[z_],TraditionalForm] is Protected. >>
 > SetDelayed::write: Tag InverseGudermannian in
MakeBoxes[InverseGudermannian[z_],TraditionalForm] is Protected. >>
 > General::stop: Further output of SetDelayed::write will be suppressed
during this calculation. >>

 > MathWorld`SpecialFunctions` is not loaded.

If you can't find a suitable version of this package, you could just add:

Unprotect[Gudermannian];
Unprotect[Haversine];
Unprotect[InverseGudermannian];

at the start of the package (just edit the .m file with a text editor).
Unless there are further problems (unlikely), this will fix the problem.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk