Re: Help with "recession bar" graph

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129758] Re: Help with "recession bar" graph
  • From: Alan <alan.isaac at>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:36:52 -0500 (EST)

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:35:37 AM UTC-5, djmpark wrote:
> With the Show statement Mathematica picks up the Options from the first plot
> in the Show statement and they override Options from subsequent plots. This
> doesn't make a lot of sense and confuses many users. So, for example, if you
> had an Epilog Option in the second plot that logically went with the second
> plot, you would have to shift it to the first plot. However, you can also
> put Options at the end of the Show statement and these take precedence.

The suggestion to move the Epilog/Prolog to the first plot is helpful.  Still, after all this discussion, I am inclined to say that comparison with the simplicity of mpl's axvline suggests that there is a missing feature in Mathematica: perhaps, a keyword for Rectangle coordinates to get the full graph extent. In economics and finance graphs, this is a very common need.