Manual argument type with MathLink C interface

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129922] Manual argument type with MathLink C interface
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:10:13 -0500 (EST)
When using the MathLink C interface, if we want to get arguments
manually, we need to put the following in the template (.tm) file:

:ArgumentTypes: { Manual }
:ReturnType: Manual

Note the braces around {Manual}.  I accidentally used

:ArgumentTypes: Manual
:ReturnType: Manual

mprep does 'compile' this template file without errors, and generates
valid C code for it, but it doesn't have the same behaviour as the
standard :ArgumentTypes: {Manual} specification.

Diffing the outputs shows only one difference: the f_nargs member of
the "func" struct is set to -1 for this function with :ArgumentTypes:
Manual, while with {Manual} it is 0.

Question:  Is :ArgumentTypes: Manual meaningful, and if yes, what is
its use?  Is there going to be anything meaningful on the link that I
can MLGet, and if yes, what?

Admittedly, this is mostly of theoretical interest for me.  I was just
curious why mprep didn't complain about this if it was something that
really wasn't allowed.  Perhaps it does have some use.