An unknown Greek matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129969] An unknown Greek matrix
  • From: marshfeldman at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:26:42 -0500 (EST)

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I'm a Mathematica newbie and have given up trying to figure this out any other way.

I have the following defined matrices:

     A = {{5, 0}, {0, 10}}
     B = {{6, 3}, {1, 12}}

and a row vector:

I don't know how to use Greek here, so I'll use "Lambda" as the name of a row vector whose name is really the Greek letter lambda capitalized and "lambda" for as the name of the elements of Lambda subscripted, with the elements really being lower-case versions of the Greek letter lambda and subscripts indicated by appending _n, where n is the subscript (e.g. lambda_1 is lowercase lambda subscripted with 1). In other words,

     Lambda = {{lambda_1, lambda_2}}.

Now given the following equation, solve for Lambda:

     Lambda B = Lambda A + L.

Also, display the elements of Lambda as

    lambda_1 = -1
    lambda_2 = 2.