Re: defining an unknown function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129451] Re: defining an unknown function
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:30:45 -0500 (EST)
Hi all,
   I would like to start by defining H = {{\partial_{x,x} L,\partial_{x,y} L},
                                          {\partial_{y,x} L, \partial_{y,y}L}};
where at this stage, the only think i know is that L is of the form L(x,y). This is a Hessian, and I would like to symbolically compute the e-vals and e-vecs. I wanted to know how I should tell mathematica to consider L as L(x,y) ?

Hi, Sid,

Is this:

Cos[x y] (-Cos[x y]+2 x y Sin[x y])

the function that you mean?

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
ZAE Weiergewan,
11, rue Edmond Reuter,
L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG

Office phone :  +352-2454-2566
Office fax:       +352-2454-3566
mobile phone:  +49 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at<mailto:alexei.boulbitch at>