Re: Export with append??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129450] Re: Export with append??
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:30:25 -0500 (EST)

With a command like

Export["myfile.dat", results, "List" ]

is there a way to append the results to an existing myfile.dat, rather
than creating or overwriting an existing file?

thanks for your help,

Hi, Maarten,
A simple workaround is to import your file, append a new file to it and then - to export the combined list. Assume that your mathematica notebook entitled "trialImportExport.nb"  is situated in the same folder as the already existing list entitled "myfile.dat".
To be precise I generated the file myfile.dat with the list:
{25, 36, 49}
in it. Assume further that I want to append the list
to it. Then the code

Does the job. The output cell below:
D:\Documents and Settings\ABo\My Documents\Works\Mathematica_works\Examples\TrialFiles\myfileNew.dat

shows that the file has been successfully exported.
I intentionally gave the resulting file a new name, "myfileNew.dat", to check the result, but the old name can also be given to it.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
ZAE Weiergewan,
11, rue Edmond Reuter,
L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG

Office phone :  +352-2454-2566
Office fax:       +352-2454-3566
mobile phone:  +49 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at<mailto:alexei.boulbitch at>