Re: Can you profile compiled code?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129525] Re: Can you profile compiled code?
  • From: Szabolcs HorvÃt <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 01:22:28 -0500 (EST)

On 2013-01-19 06:13:44 +0000, samid.hoda at gmail.com said:

> I am trying to profile some compiled code using Workbench but I don't
> seem to be able to get any timing data for the lines inside my compiled
> function. Do I need to set an option or will Profile[] automatically
> generate data for the compiled function?
>
> I apologize if there is a readily available source that answers my
> question (I Googled and looked through the Workbench documentation),
> but I couldn't find one.

I am not aware of any way to profile the innards of a byte-code
compiled function (which doesn't mean that there ins't a wayâ?¦)

But if you compile to C (not byte code), technically yo could use a
profiler for C to get some information about what needs to be sped up.
I expect it'll take some work to figure out how to profile such a
function effectively, as the code is generated and loaded into the
kernel by default.  You could split the function off and call it from a
separate program (not the kernel) to profile it more easily.  I have
never done this personally.