Re: Applications and Packages, WRI Strikes Out!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131067] Re: Applications and Packages, WRI Strikes Out!
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 02:34:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 07/06/2013 04:16, Michael Weyrauch wrote:
> David,
>

>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to edit their package files in the
>> workbench, when there is a superb package file editor built right in to
>> Mathematica!
>
> well, one really good reason is the multiple Undo facility in the
> workbench as well as the interface to a versioning system. And the
> possibility to produce standard documentation as foreseen by Wolfram.
>
> I personally like the code formatting in the workbench. And also I find
> it extremely convenient to use

The lack of multiple UNDO is an extraordinary omission, as is the lack
of a documented way to produce standard documentation inside
Mathematica. Unfortunately, I feel these omissions may be motivated by a
desire to make the workbench more attractive.

I created my own code layout mechanism, so I don't miss this feature.

Versioning might indeed need a different tool - but maybe something more
dedicated to that task.

To be fair, I tried the workbench years ago, and simply gave up. Maybe
this disqualifies me from commenting on later versions, but I suspect a
lot of people may have had a similar experience. I'd only want to try it
again, if it could display maths properly.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk