Re: Applications and Packages, WRI Strikes Out!

David,

> I can't imagine why anyone would want to edit their package files in the
> workbench, when there is a superb package file editor built right in to
> Mathematica!

well, one really good reason is the multiple Undo facility in the
workbench as well as the interface to a versioning system. And the
possibility to produce standard documentation as foreseen by Wolfram.

I personally like the code formatting in the workbench. And also I find
it extremely convenient to use.

So, while I agree that the build-in code editor is very good as well,
I still think for larger projects the Workbench is a good tool and easy
to use.

Certainly, I have to live with some nuisances e.g. that the greek
characters appera as \[Alpha] etc., but as far as I am concerned this
is not a real problem.

I understand that the critisism of David Park points mainly to
documentation creation, but that does not justify to call the whole
system "ill-designed, neglected and shoddily implemented". I cannot see
that.

Michael