Re: What is f[1]? Advanced question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131306] Re: What is f[1]? Advanced question
  • From: "Mannucci, Anthony J (335G)" <anthony.j.mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

I believe I figured this out. x[] is a function that has definitions only at certain values. A function can be defined thus:
x[x_] :=
which matches the rhs to a pattern (x_), or a function can be defined thus:
x[1] = 0.1
which means: if the function argument expression evaluates to 1, then substitute 0.1. However, if the function argument evaluated to something other than 1, there is no substitution made, so that x[2] just evaluates to x[2].

I don't think there is an Array data type in Mathematica.

Thank you!

-Tony