Finding a function within an arbitrary expression

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg131350] Finding a function within an arbitrary expression
  • From: amannucci <Anthony.J.Mannucci at>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 03:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
I am trying to figure out what that pattern is for the following. The difficulty here is that I can think textually, but not in Mathematica patterns.

I am looking for a function u[1,0] within a list of expressions. The function might not be defined yet. For example, a list of expressions might be:

{3*u[1,0], u[0,0]/10., 1/u[1,0], ...}

I want to find all the expressions that have the function u[1,0] in it. There is certainly a way to do this "textually". How would one do this with patterns? Is it possible? Thank you.