Using FindRoot for Numerical Solutions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130249] Using FindRoot for Numerical Solutions
  • From: Ben Blomberg <bblomberg at mail.bradley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:56:19 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathgroup,

I am new to mathematica and I am trying to understand a bit of code written
by someone else. In the code shown below this person uses FindRoot to find
numerical solutions to the the equation. However after I run the code if I
print xplot I get {x->0.386332}. This is hard to see in gmail but that is
an arrow not a greater than equal to sign. I was hoping someone might be
able to help me understand what is going on here. Is this x goes to
0.386332 like a limit?

Do[xplot = FindRoot[Ucr[x] - (offset + eigenvaluesort[6][[i]]) == 0, {x, 0,
dp/2}];
  xx[i] = x /. xplot, {i, 1, n - 1}];

offset, eigenvaluesort dp and Ucr[x] are set equal to values elsewhere in
the code.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Ben