Re: MarcumQ function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130701] Re: MarcumQ function
  • From: Donagh Horgan <donagh.horgan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 03:53:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! Everything seems to be working nicely now. For
future reference (in case anybody else has the same problem), the command

Plot[{MarcumQ[100, 10, x], 1 - MarcumQ[100, 10, 0, x]}, {x, 0, 30},
WorkingPrecision -> 20]

works fine, but the command

Plot[{MarcumQ[100, 10, x], N[1 - MarcumQ[100, 10, 0, x], 20]}, {x, 0, 30}]

does not. This appears to be because Mathematica treats the commands N and
WorkingPrecision differently under the hood. The fourth example under the
Scope -> Data Objects and Special Rules subsection of the N command
documentation <http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/N.html> gives
an example of this difference.

Thanks again,
Donagh