Import vs Macintosh Aliases

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130738] Import vs Macintosh Aliases
  • From: James Stein <james at stein.org>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:10:52 -0400 (EDT)

Prelude for those not familiar with Macs:

Some Macintosh Files are "aliases", meaning that its file content is
interpreted by the Mac OS as a (generalized) filename referencing a
"target" file.
Double-Clicking (opening) an alias file actually opens the target file
referenced by the alias file.
Software can distinguish alias files from other files, if desired.

Question:

It appears to me that Mathematica's Import function is oblivious to alias
files, returning errors such as:
     Import::infer :  Cannot infer format of file "logo.jpg".
A search for "Alias" in the help system returns nothing relevant (IMO).
Is there any workaround?
I can imagine dropping briefly into C-code, but I've never done that before
and the scheme seems fraught with complications.