Import vs Macintosh Aliases

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130738] Import vs Macintosh Aliases
  • From: James Stein <james at>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
Prelude for those not familiar with Macs:

Some Macintosh Files are "aliases", meaning that its file content is
interpreted by the Mac OS as a (generalized) filename referencing a
"target" file.
Double-Clicking (opening) an alias file actually opens the target file
referenced by the alias file.
Software can distinguish alias files from other files, if desired.

It appears to me that Mathematica's Import function is oblivious to alias
files, returning errors such as:
     Import::infer :  Cannot infer format of file "logo.jpg".
A search for "Alias" in the help system returns nothing relevant (IMO).
Is there any workaround?
I can imagine dropping briefly into C-code, but I've never done that before
and the scheme seems fraught with complications.