Re: Parity of EllipticTheta

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130758] Re: Parity of EllipticTheta
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:32:07 -0400 (EDT)

Modifying built-in functions is prone to unintended consequences. Recommend
something along the lines of

etRule = EllipticTheta[1, -x_, q_] :>
   -EllipticTheta[1, x, q];

Apply the rule each time that you use EllipticTheta

EllipticTheta[1, -x, q] /.
 etRule

-EllipticTheta[1, x, q]

Or if you are willing to expend the overhead, apply it automatically to all
output expressions:

$Post = # /. etRule &;

EllipticTheta[1, -x, q]

-EllipticTheta[1, x, q]