Re: Number Separator for Number Labels on Plot Axes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131972] Re: Number Separator for Number Labels on Plot Axes
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza10 at msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 00:28:57 -0500 (EST)

Yes, one possibility is as follows: if you Plot, say 100 x^2, by default you get the numbers {20000, 40000, 60000, 80000, 100000} on the vertical axes. Suppose you want to format them with a comma dividing thousands and write a $ sign to the left of each. Then set
origticks=Table[20000 j, {j,1,5}];newticks=NumberForm[#,5,DigitBlock->3]&/@origticks;b=ToString/@newticks;c = "$" <> # & /@ b;

and then

Plot[10x^2,{x,0,100},Ticks->{Automatic,Transpose[{origticks,c}]}]

Check the Online Help on Ticks|Scope|Ticks Positions and Labeling

-Tomas