Implementation of Discrete Spherical Harmonic Transforms with Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132015] Implementation of Discrete Spherical Harmonic Transforms with Mathematica?
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:37:24 -0500 (EST)

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has implemented a fast spherical harmonic transform and its inverse in Mathematica? In particular for the two-dimensional sphere.

The spherical harmonic transform appears to combine an FFT and a discrete Legendre transform. So, if there is a discrete Legendre transform implementation in Mathematica, that would be useful.

As a last resort, there are implementations in C that I could probably port with MathLink.

I am posting this question on the wolfram community site as well.

W Craig Carter