Implementation of Discrete Spherical Harmonic Transforms with Mathematica?

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has implemented a fast spherical harmonic transform and its inverse in Mathematica? In particular for the two-dimensional sphere.

The spherical harmonic transform appears to combine an FFT and a discrete Legendre transform. So, if there is a discrete Legendre transform implementation in Mathematica, that would be useful.

As a last resort, there are implementations in C that I could probably port with MathLink.

I am posting this question on the wolfram community site as well.

W Craig Carter