Re: Mathematica on Centos 6.3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132065] Re: Mathematica on Centos 6.3
  • From: Itai Seggev <itais at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 03:48:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 01:25:33AM -0500, János Löbb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mathematica on a dual processor Centos machine with 16GB Ram runs much slower than on my toy MacBookPro with 8GB.  The Centos runs with the default values.  Any good hint how to kick it into higher speed.  For example a calculation on my MacBookPro takes 26 second.  The same on the CentOS machine takes 38 seconds.
>
> Thanks ahead,
> J=E1nos

Without knowing specific hardware (exact cpu model, etc) and the computation
involved, this is impossible to answer, assuming this even represent an actual
problem.  Many Xeon processors have lower peak frequencies than their consumer
variants, for efficiency and/or price reasons.  Also, if you have a MacBookPro
with a Haswell processor, it is necessarily a generation newer than any dual
processor Xeon.  If your computation is essentially single thread (very
common), than your laptop may very well be faster than your workstation.

--
Itai Seggev
Mathematica Algorithms R&D