Re: Quantity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131711] Re: Quantity
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 02:47:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/21/13 at 4:35 AM, kessler.hannes at gmail.com (H. Ke=C3=9Fler) wrote:

>But what I am especially looking for is the list of the unit strings
>in the correct spelling for Mathematica in
>Quantity[magnitude,unitstring], not only the general overview of
>units in the NIST-website. In the old Units-package (Mathematica 8
>and earlier) each unit was a symbol and a list of all units
>available could be obtained in the correct format and spelling by
>?Units`*. This is obviously not possible anymore as there is no
>package and all units are strings.

There does not seem to be a specific set of unit strings. Note
that doing:

In[1]:= UnitConvert[Quantity[12., "Feet"], "Meters"]

Out[1]= 3.6576 m

returns a result essentially immediately. But doing

In[2]:= UnitConvert[Quantity[12., "Foot"], "Meters"]

Out[2]= 3.6576 m

returns the same result after a small delay. You should see a
brief message indicating Mathematica is interpreting the units.
I believe what is happening here is Mathematica is using Wolfram
Alpha to interpret the unit string which increases the allowable
number of unit strings significantly and makes it essentially
impossible for a user to create a list of allowable unit strings.