Problem with Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131759] Problem with Integrate
  • From: "news" <news at fx20.iad.highwinds-media.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:25:28 -0400 (EDT)

This may be a duplicate message.

I am new to Mathematica. When I try to perform Integrate[log(x),x], I
get back 0.5 log x^2, which is just log x. When I perform the double
integral: Integrate[Integrate[1/x,x],x], I get the correct answer. No
syntax perturbations on Integrate[log(x),x] give the proper answer.

Could someone explain what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for
your help.